California Collection Agency Services Statute of Limitations
Below you will find important information on Following is some important information on California state debt recovery laws including: California Statutes, Judgments, Garnishments, Interest Rates, and Bad Check Laws.
- Legal: 10%
- Judgment: 10% (Unless otherwise contracted)
STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS (IN YEARS)
- Open Account: 2 (no writing)
- Open Account: 4 (reduced to writing)
- Written Contract: 4
- Domestic Judgment: 10 (renewable at 10)
- Foreign Judgment: 10 (commencing with judgment debtor’s commencement of CA residence.)
BAD CHECK LAWS (CIVIL PENALTY)
Amount due, treble damages – minimum $100 maximum $1500 per check.
GENERAL GARNISHMENT EXEMPTIONS
See federal law. Exemptions for necessaties of life.
*California is a community property state